Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Strawberry Clafouti


One of the many things that I love about spring is strawberries. I have been buying 3-packs of them for the last few weeks at the Pasadena Farmer's Market. However I have been stumped as to what do with all of them. Sure, strawberries and cream is great but I wanted something else. And, rhubarb is not yet in season. But, low and behold, I was saved from my strawberry conundrum by Sunset magazine. The April issued arrived a couple of days ago and much to my delight included a recipe for a strawberry clafouti. I know you are wondering what a clafouti is. It is this fabulous custardy cake with fruit that comes from the Limousin region of France. I did make a clafouti years ago with cherries but have never, till now, seen a recipe using strawberries. The recipe is very simple so I whipped it up last night for dessert. It was delicious. Give it a try.

Strawberry Clafouti
(from the April 2010 issue of Sunset magazine)

Serves 4 to 6
Time: Approximately 1 1/4 hours

8 oz. strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
2 tsp. cornstarch
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
Powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a shallow 2-qt. baking or gratin dish. In a bowl, toss the strawberry halves with cornstarch until evenly coated, then arrange berries cut sides down in the bottom of the dish and set aside.

2. In a blender, whirl eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth, about 15 seconds. Pour batter over strawberries.

3. Bake until puffed, golden brown, and set in the center, about 50 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment