Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Learning to Sew


I wanted to take sewing classes back in L.A. but just never got around to it. Now, that I'm in Portland, with a bit more time on my hands (for right now), I thought it was time to give this a try. By chance, a couple of weeks ago, Dan and I walked by a sewing store on NE Alberta called Modern Domestic. We popped in to take a look around and I inquired about classes after I saw this super cute tote bag on a wall with a little tag saying that they had a class that teaches you how to make it. I love purses and totes so I could not resist signing up then and there for the class.  

Once I got home though, I panicked that I would not be able to make a tote since I had not touched a sewing machine since I was about 11 or 12. So, I went on Modern Domestic's website and found a two-hour basic sewing class that I could attend before I took my tote bag class. Taking the basic sewing class gave me just enough confidence so that I could tackle the tote bag today. I can't believe that I actually made the tote in the picture. It was a really fun class and it's nice to have produced something cute and useful. Now, I want to go back and use some open studio time to make another tote. Oh, and I'm taking the class this Friday where I can learn to make envelope pillowcases...very excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment